[softwarelist] Re: O-Pro's future

  • From: Brian Bailey <bbailey@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: davidpilling@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 24 Jun 2008 23:19:08 +0100

In article <oCsQpdQmVWYIFwe2@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>,
> In message <4fb4880549bbailey@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>, Brian Bailey
> <bbailey@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> writes
> >approach/model for an update, which may not work at all. No doubt David
> >already knows what does or does not work for him in that regard. Perhaps
> >he might wish to share his views with us on this aspect of OvatPro
> >development to move the discussion forward.

> This discussion began with me saying that Ovation Pro had, over 20
> years, proved to be a failure and I wanted to move on to something else
> - and the one thing I would not do again is work on RISC OS.

> We are now talking about an upgrade for the RISC OS version 8-)

> I know there are people who use Ovation Pro, I appreciate your support
> over the years.

> You're the users, it is fair to point out my current feelings. We can go
> on as for the last two years - in maintenance mode, keeping the program
> working as RISC OS and Windows evolve. Or someone can come up with a
> better idea.

> A RISC OS upgrade is not a better idea...

In essence I am recognising that is the case. Unwilling, as I am, I am
being forced to go down the WinXp route because that is the reality of the
situation.

£50 buys you no more than 1 hours time of a main car agent's workshop
mechanic and usually not very good value at that. Surely, David's time is
worth much more than that.

Speaking personally, I can see a very real need to export OvatProW files
in QuarkXpress or InDesign format. Now, is that possible, is that a
reality that David could address and extend OvatProW usefulness and make
it much more flexible?

I am still willing to commit my £sd in spite of David's strictures.