[softwarelist] Re: O-Pro's future

  • From: David Pilling <flist@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: davidpilling@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 25 Jun 2008 12:04:58 +0100

Hi,

In message <4fb4e5fc8amonster@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>, Robert Greenfield <monster@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> writes
I am not sure that I would consider OvPro unviable, in that I think it is
very competent at what it does. I am still finding very useful things that
it can do (latest one was leading chars in TABs).

Viable here means the number of users. You can do a great deal with the program.

My current disillusion with Windows is due to the realisation that years
of work are now needed just to add the basic requirements.
What are you comparing OvPro to for these 'basic requirements', and what
audience would require these 'basic requirements'?

What does a long term Windows user want, and what does it take to compete with and surpass other programs.

having added A they then turn around and say "do you seriously expect me
to use a program that lacks feature B".
That is pretty rubbish of them.

I think it just shows that DTP programs have many features.

Right now no, but what of the future? Isn't DDL a more robust format?
I am aware from discussions that some information isn't currently saved in
DDL.
I can imagine that DDL will be far easier to export to other apps &
platforms than a binary format. It must be more future-proof.

DDL saves everything except how to display documents. In that sense there is no more (or very little) to add.

There are inexpensive/free ways of letting people know about the service
that your software can provide.

That is interesting, what are they?