[softwarelist] Re: OPW - Enhanced justification

  • From: Clive Bonsall <cbonsall@xxxxxxx>
  • To: davidpilling@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 21 Oct 2008 19:34:38 +0100

Jhr JMAH van Vredenburch wrote:
In message <48FCFBE3.5020701@xxxxxxxx>
          Clive Bonsall <cbonsall@xxxxxxx> wrote:

There appears to be a consistent problem when a line ends in a full
stop, which becomes more evident when there are several such lines close
together. I find that these lines do not always align to the right
margin (neither on screen nor in print). Playing with the enhanced
justification settings fails to rectify the problem.

Has anyone else noticed this, and found a solution?

Yes and yes, use another font.

Not really an option. It's part of an entire book, set in TimesNewRoman

Now a longer reply.

If you look at the size of a full stop in a font editing program you will see it is slightly more than the diameter of the full stop itself. I believe this to be approx. 0,2mm to 0,5mm. You can see this in a OP document at 1000%; select Ruler and set some vertical guidelines. Another way to visualize this is to place the caret at the end of the line. If this ends with a full stop you'll see that the caret is somewhat to the right of the full stop. When the line ends with a letter the caret "touches" this letter.

The difference is far greater with Corpus or Evenletter. With these fonts the full stop will appear exactly in the middle under the last letter at the end of the line above.

What precedes is valid for serif fonts. Non serif fonts sometimes use more space than the design of the letter is wide (e.g. in Homerton the letter o versus the letter t). Wider space than the letter/token design also exists for the hyphen (in Trinity) and some other tokens.

Maybe EFF have fonts with "zero" size to the right of the full stop and other tokens concerned, so I send them a copy of this message (hoping the address is correct).

Interesting, I'll look at this.

--
C.B.