[softwarelist] Re: OPW - Enhanced justification

  • From: Bernard G Hill <berni@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: davidpilling@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 04 Nov 2008 10:00:50 +0000

David Pilling wrote:
In message <4904B8B6.7070907@xxxxxxxx>, Clive Bonsall <cbonsall@xxxxxxx> writes
David Pilling wrote:
In message <oquQDlCJ7KBJFwQe@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>, David Pilling <flist@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> writes
Yes. I could see that alignment was not perfect. The question is if this is another bug or if it is what one expects given the full stops are next to different preceding characters.
I've now got the latest example and I'd say it was a bug in enhanced justification, turn that off (on the last line, the one which is out of alignment) and the full stops then line up.

OK, I've fixed the bug in enhanced justification. The problem is that with enhanced justification a small gap is added after every character (not just space characters), however the program was adding this gap after the last character in the line.

You can get the latest version (3rd November 2008) from the usual place:
www.davidpilling.com/cd

This fix is quite benign, open documents and the text will be correctly formatted, unlike last weeks problem there is no need to force a reflow. Interestingly the bug also appears in the RISC OS version, but no one has noticed for ten years, so I don't suppose I need to fix it there ;-)

Probably because, following the precept of Eric Gill, justification whether enhanced or not, is not generally used within the RiscOS community???? Mr Gill did not like justified text, as very often the uneven spacing between words hinders reading. He also advocated, and used, very close spacing between words to aid the ease of reading.

He felt that justified text was only to make the page look tidy but said that the primary purpose of text is to be read. With a sensibly long line of text, (not a newspaper column) justification does not cause too much change of word spacing, but even then rivers of white can be seen running down a page.

Berni.