[softwarelist] Re: OPW - Enhanced justification

  • From: Chris Johnson <chris@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: davidpilling@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sun, 09 Nov 2008 23:01:32 +0000 (GMT)

In article <$VTlcGBtU1FJFwgg@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>,
> In message <4ffbac795achris@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>, Chris Johnson

> >I see little point running old software under emulation on a
> >machine (PC/Mac/whatever) which has a multitude of superior native
> >software.

> Ouch!

> 8-)

Didn't mean to cause you pain, but I did see the smiley! Opro is one
of the reasons I still use RISC OS, and I do have, of course, the
windows versions of OPro, DPlingScan, etc, which I do use sometimes.
I always found Word awful when I had to use it at work.

Going off at a tangent - I have been (early) retired now for six
years, but I was recently asked by the current head of department if
I could supply some of my old physical chemistry lecture overheads
(done in Opro/Draw mainly with some help from Techwriter for
maths/equations) in a format suitable for powerpoint, since they
couldn't produce similar stuff using the standard Microsoft apps. I
suggested OPro for windows, but of course that wasn't on the
University 'approved' apps, and would also cost money. I compromised
and gave then PDF files in the end.

I was really alluding to a range of posts in the Acorn newsgroups
recently about getting some really old software (mainly internet
related and audio/video stuff) running under VRPC - why use e.g.
Fresco or Webster when there is Firefox or Opera?

It is all water under the bridge, but a matter of history that there
was a lot in the Acorn/RISC OS field that was way ahead of anything
else available at the time, but the limited resources were not able
to compete with big business across the pond.

Anyway, none of this has much relevance to David Pilling Software, so
I will call a halt to these contributions.

Incidently, I have recently started going through some of my archived
posts from this list with a view to updating the hints and tips
section of my alternative OPro resources site, although I do wonder
how much it is still used.

Best regards

      Chris...

--