[softwarelist] Re: Insert Page

  • From: Steve Fryatt <lists@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: davidpilling@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sat, 24 Jul 2010 19:14:42 +0100

On 24 Jul, Dave Symes wrote in message
    <513bedfa8fdave@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>:

> In article <513bec1d7fchris@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>,
>    Chris Johnson <chris@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>
> > Do you have auto flowing text between pages (you are using master pages
> > that are linked to autoflow text)? If you do, then the text will flow
> > back into the new page and the last page will be now empty (and would be
> > deleted if auto page delete was set). You need to unlink the master
> > pages and/or use local frames to prevent the text being reflowed.
>
> Sorry... Lost.
>
> Originally, click OvPro and my default document opened. Page with nothing
> on except a box/frame at the bottom with Page number.
>
> Page gets filled with text, at the bottom a new page is created... and so
> on. ?

You type text into the page's main frame, then when the page fills a new
page is added automatically to follow it?  If so, you have the pages linked
to auto-flow text, and yes, you will find that "Insert" and "Delete" don't
do quite what you would expect (although it is logical once you fathom out
what is going on).

Because the frame is auto-linked, when you insert the new page between pages
1 and 2, the link between the frames breaks and then gets re-created page 1
-> new page 2 -> new page 3 (ie. old page 2) -> etc.  The text is then
reflowed straight through the new page, and it all looks exactly as it did
before (except for a spare page at the end, which auto-delete would delete).

The only way you can do what you want is to unlink the master frame on the
master page (if you look at the master page with the link tool, it will have
a link into itself -- delete it), then manually insert all the pages you
require and manually link the frames you want to use with the link tool.

It's hard to see how the automatic tool could get this correct, in fact.  It
does what is required to make OP behave like a simple WP package.  If you
want to start directing the text where you want it, you need to do it
manually.

--
Steve Fryatt - Leeds, England

http://www.stevefryatt.org.uk/