[softwarelist] Re: Cut'n'paste a whole OvPro page?

  • From: Dave Symes <dave@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: davidpilling@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 02 Feb 2009 18:59:43 +0000 (GMT)

In article <502709f9f4peter@xxxxxxxxxx>,
   Peter Newble <peter@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> In article <5026fde906dave@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>, Dave Symes
> <dave@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> > Sorry to be thicko, but I still don't understand.

> > 1) My test document only has one page, the master page frame
> > is not yet linked to anything,

Okay, I've had time to re-digest everything written in answer to my
queries.

Thanks to Peter for encapsulating the whole kit 'n caboodle.

I've decided to create a new test page, as the old one was rather battered
from all the misuse applied to it during previous days, which probably
contributed a bit to problems encountered.

So forget all that went before. I now have a new test page and will apply
Peter's suggestions.

> It probably is linked if it was created by default, i.e. without
> any intervention from you. Frames are linked (to each other or to
> themselves) regardless of whether there is enough text in one to
> make it follow the link into the next. Go to page > Edit master
> pages (ctrl-E in Ovation Pro for RISC OS) and select the 'link
> frame' tool (the fifth button down in the default toolbar). There
> will probably be a diagonal green arrow indicating that the frame
> is aut0-linked (linked to itself, to enable text to flow from a
> frame on one page to the equivalent frame in the next).

[Snip]

Test 1: Copy and Paste.

The Auto link arrow in the Master page has been removed.
Masterpage closed.

Click in document but outside the master frame.
Ctrl-Shift-A to select all.
It does, including the masterframe (First test run I'll not de-select it).

Ctrl-C

New document, Ctrl-V
Position Caret and yes the whole kit 'n caboodle has copied over, well,
well, well! In all the years I've been using OvPro, from its first Beebug
release... Never managed to get it to do that, though I tried many a time.

Test 2: Copy and Paste, but this time de-select the master frame as I've
been told to do. Not convinced, seems to be a bad idea, however, here
goes...

Click in document but outside the master frame.
Ctrl-Shift-A to select all.
De-select  master frame.

Ctrl-C

New document, Ctrl-V

Hohoho! as I expected, the graphics and any text in text frames transfers
okay, but the body text is missing.

Test 3: Alt Drag.

Same test doc, same condition.
Shift-Ctrl-A
It does, including the masterframe (Again I'll not de-select it).

Alt-Select mouse button, the blue rectangle is present, I drag to a new
empty doc page, the outlines of the individual frames moves over, but on
dropping it into the new Doc nothing arrives, blank empty.

Try that again, this time I'll de-select the master frame.

This time only graphics and any text inside a text frame transfer, the
body text did not transfer.

How interesting, so it seems.
This does work but only with Copy and Paste, and the master frame must
also be selected.

Alt drag doesn't work correctly.

Thanks again to all, and particularly Peter.

Dave

PS: I don't have the !PastePos applet, from whence might it be sourced?