[softwarelist] Re: Cut'n'paste a whole OvPro page?

  • From: Peter Newble <peter@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: davidpilling@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 02 Feb 2009 00:31:29 +0000 (GMT)

In article <5026fde906dave@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>, Dave Symes
<dave@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> Sorry to be thicko, but I still don't understand.

> 1) My test document only has one page, the master page frame
> is not yet linked to anything,

It probably is linked if it was created by default, i.e. without
any intervention from you. Frames are linked (to each other or to
themselves) regardless of whether there is enough text in one to
make it follow the link into the next. Go to page > Edit master
pages (ctrl-E in Ovation Pro for RISC OS) and select the 'link
frame' tool (the fifth button down in the default toolbar). There
will probably be a diagonal green arrow indicating that the frame
is aut0-linked (linked to itself, to enable text to flow from a
frame on one page to the equivalent frame in the next).

If you create a document by clicking on the Ovation Pro icon bat
icon (on RISC OS), or running Ovation Pro (on Windows), the
default document will be opened, which, unless you have changed
it, contains one such auto-linked default frame. If you create a
document using the "New..." option in the icon bar (or whatever
the Windows equivalent is) you have the option of whether or not
to create a default frame. If you do, it will auto-linked. If
not, there will be nowhere on the page to enter text or graphics
until you manually create frames, whether on individual pages of
the document or on the master page for each chapter.

> 3) How do I unselect the master frame in the sense you mean.

Having selected all the frames, right-click (RISC OS) /
ctrl-click (Windows) on the default frame to deselect it, just
like any other.

> Clicking outside it greys it out, but as noted before,
> absolutely *nothing* I do here will copy a complete page from
> one doc to another, or even Alt Drag.

Somehow you still have at least one linked frame selected. Select
the link frame tool, both in and out of master page mode, to see
which these are.

Having either deselected any linked frames (or, as is sometimes
more appropriate, temporarily undone all the links), I find the
!PastePos applet (for RISC OS) invaluable, to paste the frames
back into exactly the same position on another page or in another
document. On my machines I have the key macro {pastepos} set for
ctrl-shift-V, as a variant of ctrl-V for normal paste.

In my experience, one wouldn't want to include auto-linked frames
when copying a group of frames from a page, as the text in them
is not exclusive to that page. Copying self-contained pages, in
which there might be links from one frame to another but not to
or from other pages, is useful, but it means temporarily removing
any links there might be within the page. Capturing the static
contents of a page which includes 'dynamic' content (i.e. text
flowing into and/or out of it) can best be done at the moment by
printing to a PostScript printer driver, then using RiScript (on
RISC OS) to convert that to a drawfile, or Acrobat Distiller
(amongst other Windows programs) to make a PDF. As DP says, I and
others have requested direct drawfile output in the past
(although Artworks output would be better these days, now that
Artworks files can include clipping paths, etc.) But direct PDF
or PostScript output from Ovation Pro for RISC OS would be best
of all, albeit an impossible dream!

Peter Newble.