[COMP] Re: e-smith, inc. - index

  • To: <computers@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 29 Apr 2000 10:10:27 -0700

----- Original Message -----
#From: "John Madden" <weez@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
To: <computers@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Sent: Friday, April 28, 2000 8:33 PM
Subject: [COMP] Re: e-smith, inc. - index

> > If you want a nice easy Linux installation, get RedHat.
> > StormLinux (Corel) looks promising, at least that's what
> > I've heard (never installed it myself).
>
> StormLinux is done by Corel?

hrmm, no, it's not, doh  :P

I guess both Corel and Storm are both debian based, got
my facts mixed up there (I use debian).  Heh, now not only
do you have distros of linux, but you have distros of distros.
Gotta love it.  :)

> Ya.. Samba has got to be the best implementation of SMB sharing available.
And
> if you have to use windows machines, it's the best way of swapping files
> around.  Samba's also a lot faster than NT in most respects (and certainly
in
> anything the average user or business would encounter).

Probably much faster than NT because you aren't forced
into that ridiculous and useless GUI. (MHO) ... I don't
get why they did that.  Much easier to do userdel username
than wade through a bunch of windows.

> It's also extremely
> reliable: I've never had any sort of issue with it.  The down side, as
with
> most things Linux, is its configuration: you have to edit smb.conf to
modify
> shares and whatnot.  But that's really not a *bad* thing at all... :)

I was thinking that it would probably be trivial to setup a
configuration script for samba.  Something that would make
it VERY easy to at least get it running, would simply say "OK,
we are going to configure SAMBA, if something doesn't work
correctly then you can run this again by typing myprogramname
at the prompt."  ... something like that, where it asks a few
questions and then automatically generates the configfile and
puts it in the proper place.

Shouldn't be hard to do in perl or even just a bash script.
Now if only I can find the time ...

--
Mark

Get computer help: http://avenir.dhs.org