[COMP] Re: e-smith, inc. - index

  • To: <computers@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 30 Apr 2000 18:49:28 -0400

Hi Mark,
you wrote:
It's just two completely different approaches I guess.  In
Linux, even when running X I'll *always* have a terminal or
three open, whereas in Windows I'm rarely in a DOS box.

so a terminal box is like a dos box? Is there such a thing as *safe mode*
for linux?
I mean having a dos box is still having windows running as opposed to
booting into dos all by itself.
linux doesnt run over top of another os like win9x does over dos7 correct?

so what is a terminal box? a command line with a shell?
Is a shell just a way of viewing stuff like windows explorer?
I seem to remember that the dos5 shell (and maybe norton commander) was the
same dos but you could view the contents of a drive.
am I off base here...just trying to get an overview before I install redhat
or mandrake.
What is a window maker?
Sorry for my ignorance....gonna setup a router/switch or something like you
guys described and dont want to be completely in the dark.
David