[COMP] Re: e-smith, inc. - index

  • To: <computers@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 30 Apr 2000 10:12:18 -0700

----- Original Message -----
#From: "Bruno Van de Casteele" <brunovdc@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
To: <computers@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Sent: Sunday, April 30, 2000 3:24 AM
Subject: [COMP] Re: e-smith, inc. - index

> On Sat, 29 Apr 2000 10:10:27 -0700, the Da-Sein "Mark Symonds"
<mark@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> |Probably much faster than NT because you aren't forced
> |into that ridiculous and useless GUI. (MHO) ... I don't
> |get why they did that.  Much easier to do userdel username
> |than wade through a bunch of windows.
>
> actually, as a long-time windows-user i have mixed feelings about this.
> I've never tried Redhat, so I cant say anything about it, but my opinion
> in Debian was that a GUI (or even simple menu-driven) interfacte might
> be handy.

I guess in some situations it might, but it's as not easy to
some things like you can at the command line.  Say I want to
know how many accounts on a box use bash for their shell ...
grep bash /etc/passwd |wc -l would give an idea.

It's just two completely different approaches I guess.  In
Linux, even when running X I'll *always* have a terminal or
three open, whereas in Windows I'm rarely in a DOS box.

> But still, some more interface might be handy to get more people to use
> linux (apparently, this is wat Redhat does?).

Redhat is good for people coming striaght off of the Start
Button imho.  Best to switch to another distro after reading
a couple books and getting familiar with the system.  I also
noticed (at least with 5.x) that it likes to run alot of
unnecessary services by default, making the box inherently
insecure.

> But only as an extra
> option, not standard (like NT)

That's my biggest gripe about it.  They don't even give
the option.  Just this huge GUI eating up cycles and memory
that would be better spent on servicing users.  Argh!  :)

--
Mark

---
We all agree on the necessity of compromise.
We just can't agree on when it's necessary
to compromise.
        -- Larry Wall

Get computer help: http://avenir.dhs.org