[COMP] Re: e-smith, inc. - index

  • To: computers@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sun, 30 Apr 2000 12:24:53 +0200

On Sat, 29 Apr 2000 10:10:27 -0700, the Da-Sein "Mark Symonds"
<mark@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

|> Ya.. Samba has got to be the best implementation of SMB sharing available.
|And
|> if you have to use windows machines, it's the best way of swapping files
|> around.  Samba's also a lot faster than NT in most respects (and certainly
|in
|> anything the average user or business would encounter).
|
|Probably much faster than NT because you aren't forced
|into that ridiculous and useless GUI. (MHO) ... I don't
|get why they did that.  Much easier to do userdel username
|than wade through a bunch of windows.

actually, as a long-time windows-user i have mixed feelings about this.
I've never tried Redhat, so I cant say anything about it, but my opinion
in Debian was that a GUI (or even simple menu-driven) interfacte might
be handy. I've configured my MTA, my samba etc. via command lines and
config files, but for other tasks i'd appreciate some windows, as an
extra option. It's not that I want to view my maillogs in a window (man,
i love grep...), but for a new program it might be very handy.
Then again, depending on the interface isnt good neither... you stick
with it, and you never try the powerful options of the Command Line...

But still, some more interface might be handy to get more people to use
linux (apparently, this is wat Redhat does?). But only as an extra
option, not standard (like NT)

(snip SMB script)
|Shouldn't be hard to do in perl or even just a bash script.
|Now if only I can find the time ...

it exists, though i wouldnt trust them...

--
Bruno Van de Casteele  brunovdc@xxxxxxxxxxxx
N.P. Puam      [ ICQ#: CA957F ]

"Wo Es war soll Ich werden."