[COMP] Re: e-smith, inc. - index

  • To: computers@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sun, 30 Apr 2000 11:31:32 -0500

> Unfortunately that is usually the case here as well.
> Linux running as a gateway with a few ssh SecureCRT sessions
> open.  DOJ case or not, Microsoft is still ubiquitous in the
> real world and I wonder if it isn't going to stay like that for
> at least awhile longer.  Their OS's suck but they still make
> some great applications imo, and I still like the "feel" of
> windows better than X.

I used to feel the same way, but as I used it more, I started to realize that
the "feel" of X was a lot different depending on the window manager you used
(there's that choice thing again :)).  One thing I hate about Windows is that
when one app gets busy, it seems to hang for a few seconds, during which time
you can't switch to another app.  It feels like the system has gone i/o bound
or something.  I've never really noticed this with X- things just run smoothly,
no matter how much cpu one app is taking up.  That could be linux's
multitasking kicking in, I dunno.

I don't like X's way of handling cut buffers.  Copy and Paste is a tricky thing
with X, and I wish someone would sit down and get it straight.  But ohhh, those
window managers... Sleek, fast, efficient, and perty. :)

John

--
# John Madden  weez@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx ICQ: 2EB9EA
# Sys-Admin / Webmaster, Avenir Web: http://avenir.dhs.org