<CT> Re: The End of and Era!

  • From: "John" <spyder@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <calmira_tips@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 18 Dec 2000 14:21:04 -0500

Hi all,

<snip!>

> Better? I suppose it's a matter of taste and hardware. I had 98SE running
in my
> new system previously and it crashed badly twice within a fortnight,
taking
> most of my data with it. ME improved things by allowing 'roll-back' and
refusing
> to overwrite system DLLs and VXDs with new ones from the installations
> of new free software (for which many Calmira list members may know I have
> penchant!). Result: no crashing and much better recovery. It also boots
much
> more quickly and has very nice graphic handling properties.

I guess M$ does depend on hardware and configuration!  I am not a big Win9x
fan I prefer linux however for the last 4 days my Win98SE machine has been
running constantly and being used like crazy and has not crashed yet.  Now
with Win95A I couldn't keep the darned thing running for more than 15
minutes...  Which became a hassle with trying to do taxes w/ Quick Books Pro
<G>  needless to say for an M$ OS I'll stick with Win98SE as long as I
require an M$ OS (not counting Wfwg311+calmira I will always have that
machine).  I would not even consider buying WinMe at least until they
release WinMESE <G>.

I do know the next version of windows, agian is supposed to be released
without DOS and be completely NT based even for the home user (but so was
WinMe at first), in fact the next version will not even be called Windows, I
forget what it is going to be called, I read it somewhere and it still
starts with a W. If I remember I will let you know, unless someone else
knows?

As far as Win2K better than Linux....  You will get mixed responses from
different people. MY OPINION: remeber this is just an opinion, Win2K has
nothing on linux...  Linux is by far better than Win2K.  One thing better
about linux is... well you have the source code for the entire OS <g>  There
are many other reason I believe this however seeing as this is an OT thread,
I will not go into more detail!

<snip!>