[cad-linux] Re: database application scenarios

  • From: Eric Wilhelm <ewilhelm@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: cad-linux@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 14 May 2003 15:48:12 -0500

> The following was supposedly scribed by
> Brian Johnson
> on Wednesday 14 May 2003 03:34 pm:

>I think both are desired .. an engine to provide pre-evaluated entities
> (surfaces, etc) AND use SQL to comunicate to the db storage tables
>
>That way other apps that don't need geometry (or think they can do the
> geometry better or faster) can access the db tables directly.  Also, the
> choice of a backend database opens up as long as it supports SQL

There would of course be nothing to stop a developer from using their own
access method for the database, but I think providing a library which
facilitates the access would tempt developers to stick to the standard
library.  Its not really a matter of whether they can do the geometry better
or faster, because it would still need to be stored in the table in the
standard way.   So, the only benefit of foregoing the library would be if you
can access the database better or faster.  But, wouldn't modifying the LGPL'd
library give you a good enough starting point to implement these speed
improvements?  And wouldn't having the access-speed improvements made to an
open-source library benefit everyone involved?  Take KHTML as an example.
Apple used this as a backend for safari, making speed (and other)
improvements which were then released back into the open-source project.

--Eric