[bookshare-discuss] Re: The Stream and the UAK

  • From: Pat Ferguson <patferguson@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: bookshare-discuss@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sun, 17 Aug 2008 15:18:10 -0500

Hi Roger, and Everyone,

You have the instructions correct, accept for the fact that after you alt-tab to your card window, and you will see your Stream folders on that card, you need to find the folder you want to put that file in, and then you do a control-V to paste it in that folder. Now, once this process has been done, and you have put all your files on the card, that you want, please follow my next instructions.

It is very important to follow these next instructions, when you have finished copying files on the card, and you want to put it back in the Stream to listen to your BookShare books.

1. Backspace once so that you are in the "my computer" window.

2. You should have your cursor on the drive letter of your SD card.

3. Press the context menu button, which is to the left, of your right control key.

4. Arrow down until you hear the word "Eject."

5. Press Enter.

6. Do an Alt-F4 to close that window.

7. Now you can remove your card reader with the SD card in it from your computer.

We might be gone fishing! Depending on the wind, so if you call me on my cell, I'll be in the boat, I hope! <grin> lol.

If we catch lots of fish, we'll have a fish fry tonight! You are all invited! <grin> lol. I have potato salad, and even a Roast is cooking in the crockpot. We'll be serving cold drinks as well! <grin> lol.

Bring your favorite BookShare book! <grin> lol.

Oh, I wonder if we can fit everyone in the boat! <grin> lol.

Pat Ferguson
At 02:55 PM 8/17/2008, you wrote:
Okay everyone, I seem to have found it. I had it there all along, but I did not know that it was a card reader. I am making some definite progress. I just talked to Pat on the phone and she instructed me on how to insert the card and she was going on to walk me through the rest of the transfer process. Unfortunately, though, I was unable to find the USB port to plug it into. That is caused by the simple fact of not plugging things into USB ports much in the past and my lack of eyesight. I should be able to get past that hurtle in the late afternoon or early evening when someone who can see gets here to physically show me. Now, someone might post specific instructions to me as to what to do next. I think I have it, but I have not actually done it so I might be missing something. If I understand correctly I open up "my computer" and select the file I want to transfer with the arrow keys. I then do a control C to add it to the clip board. Then I alt tab and I should see something that tells me that I am connected to the SD card. Then I select the file on the card I want to put it on and do a control V. If I understand correctly the task has then been accomplished. If I am missing something let me know. And remember, I am a computer illiterate -- well, almost; I have been learning a lot lately -- so answer me as if I am a complete idiot. In a message dated 8/17/2008 11:27:04 A.M. Pacific Daylight Time, Rogerbailey81@xxxxxxx writes: If I do I sure haven't found it yet. In a message dated 8/17/2008 7:55:58 A.M. Pacific Daylight Time, patferguson@xxxxxxxxx writes:
Hi Everyone!

Roger Baily already has a card reader which he purchased from us when he purchased the Victor Reader Stream. He shouldn't need another one. It is labeled in braille.

Pat Ferguson

At 08:43 AM 8/17/2008, you wrote:
You might, but I don't know if our local Walmart has them. I usually bought mine at Best Buy and office max.

Mine were $20

Shelley L. Rhodes, M.A., VRT
And Guinevere: Golden Lady Guide Dog
<mailto:guidinggolden@xxxxxxxxx>guidinggolden@xxxxxxxxx