[bookshare-discuss] Re: More books than I know what to do with!

  • From: "Kasondra Payne" <Kassyp36@xxxxxxx>
  • To: <bookshare-discuss@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 17 Nov 2006 21:35:13 -0700

Rick, Julie, and the rest of the list,

Oh, this is so true.  I have found myself nostalgic about my past college
experience.  Maybe that is because I am going back to school next semester.
Ten years ago I was working on my Associate's degree in broadcasting in
Minnesota.  I went to school with my best friend who is also blind.  We
needed interesting stuff to prepare for our shows, and we needed to keep
up-to-date.  We had a Braille embosser connected to the computer that we
used to get the Associated Press news.  We would emboss about fifty Braille
pages a day.  That was just stuff like news and weather and sports.  We
stayed informed on a variety of subjects by reading nearly every magazine in
the NLS program.   We had volumes of Braille, and tons of tapes, and we read
everything.  We took our notes with the slate and stylus, which is perfectly
acceptable.  We had strong backs from carrying all that Braille, and we were
constantly reading.  We also kept a multi-page list of the books we wanted
to read.  Of course we got some of them from NLS, but our list was huge!

We got our degrees and everything was fine.  Fast forward ten years.  Both
of us now have PAC Mates and laptops.  We can go onto Bookshare and download
and read anything there.  We were just discussing old-time radio, and I told
her about all the books about it on bookshare.  We still use hard copy
Braille, but so much more is available now.  Modern technology has made it
so easy for us to take a book and be able to read it.  I did great in
college the first time, but I believe it will be so much better this time
around.  Between my laptop, my bookport, and my PAC Mate, I will be able to
read all my books all the time.  Of course I will still read for pleasure.
It is wonderful to have all these books, newspapers, and magazines available
to us.  Thank you for letting me ramble about reading material.

Kasondra Payne