[bookshare-discuss] More Fun?

  • From: "Allison" <alwaysallie@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <bookshare-discuss@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 23 Sep 2004 18:26:40 -0400

Okay guys, so Peter says we need more fun or interesting conversations on
this list.  Here goes, am not sure if I'm exactly fun, or interesting, but
I'll
try for something.
So, to get everyone started somewhere, have just randomly thought up a
topic..  If it's lame, you can laugh all you want, but at least I'm doing
something!
<smile>.
Just a general type question for you all.  This is particularly true for
newer guys who don't talk much on here.  We really wanna get to know you
better,
so write us something. .. anything, we're really nice people who are
interested in you quieter ones.
I was wondering which types of books fascinate us most.  Which genre or
category of books can you just not get enough of?  I'm sure we all read a
lot of
different things, but I think everyone has a bit of a favorite area
somewhere.  This is helpful too because it can help scanner volunteers to
know the
types of books to be trying to put out there.  So guess this has a duel
purpose, helping us to know one another and giving book type suggestions.
Oh yeah,
and as Peter says, have more fun!

I'll start I guess since I brought up this thing.  I am 22-years-old and I
admit it, I have a weakness for kids' books!  This is probably cuz I was an
elementary
ed major for a while and have worked with kids a lot.  I read a great deal
of Newbury Award winners.  Newbury is the highest honor given to the best
kids
books each year.  Oh, and not just all kids books, I have a particular love
for historical fiction type kids' books.  I have a list of titles a mile
long
if anyone wants book suggestions in that area.  Write me off list though cuz
I don't suppose that everyone will find them half so interesting.

In terms of adult books, I read practically everything!  If I had to pick, I
tend to prefer kinds with strong female lead characters.
Dunno, something about that sort of book, in almost any category, draws my
interest.  Dunno, <shrug>. I like adult historical fiction too, although
none I seem to like
as well as those for kids <smile>.  I used to be a huge mystery fan too, but
have become a lil less so lately.
For non-fiction types, I'm the one submitting all the Womens' studies
related books.   I enjoy that area a lot.  Also do current event type stuff,
you know,
the books with info on the latest issues, sometimes political, others not.
I also read a great deal of teaching or education-related material.  Once in
a while, the true stories of super-natural occurrences catch my interest
too.  I try not to get too drawn in, a lot of it is pure junk, but who can't
resist
a chilling read or two now and again?
Okay, I could literally babble on for hours about the types of books I most
like, but I think I've done more than y'all prob wanted to hear.  So, I'll
stop
and let someone else have a turn.  C'mon guys, help me out here.  Let's
liven up this list!
Now, wasn't that fun?
Smiles,
Allison
"It takes a lot of time to be a genius, you have to sit around so much doing
nothing, really doing nothing."
(Gertrude Stein, writer, everybody’s autobiography)