[bookshare-discuss] Discussion re books

  • From: Cindy <popularplace@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: bookshare-discuss@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 24 Sep 2004 17:08:13 -0700 (PDT)

I like all kinds of books, if they're written well. In
fulfilling requests from bookshare members I've
discovered some prolific and popular authors that I
don't think write that well, though the plots did keep
my interest, but I wouldn't go borrow other of those
authors'  book for myself. On the hand, I've found a
couple whose other books I do want to read,
specifically Ivan Doig and Bertrice Small. I've become
addicted to her books -- historical romance, very
accurate as to the historical setting and characters
(I've checked online about some of the incidents and
people about which I knew little). She wrote many
books before the one I first scanned and prevaldated
for bookshare, and I'm gradually reading the others.

Speaking of which, it was you, Allison, wans't it that
scanned some of her books that are now in the
collection, i.e., Besieged, Darling Jasming and Wild
Jasmine? There's a whole saga beginning with Skye
O'Malley, of which those are 3. I want to read them in
order. I'm concentrating of validating now, selecting
books that are Fair and Good, because I think I have
more time than most to do that, but when (and if) I
finish I'll scan more of Small's books -- though I
feel I should fulfill requests instead.

I also like reading history and biography if they're
written for the "average" reader, i.e., aren't written
in  a scholarly manner. I'm starting a new book now,
Confessions of a Master Jewel Thief (published in
2004) which seems interesting. A couple of other
well-written and interesting ones I've read were Gore
Vidal's Burr (though I would have preferred the
narrator's part be left out and the book restricted to
Burr's story) and a book entitled The Speckled
Monster, about the early simultaneous efforts in
England and America by Lady  Montague and Dr. Boylston
to innoculate (variolate) smallpos in the early 18th
century. Did you know that the Moors and black slaves
were doing that long before the Europeans?

http://promotions.yahoo.com/new_mail