[bookshare-discuss] Re: Banned Books Week

  • From: Ann Parsons <akp@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: bookshare-discuss@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 01 Oct 2007 07:29:12 -0400

Hi all,

Well, ouija boards can be kind of dicy. It's sort of like sticking a hair pin in an electrical socket. Most of the time, nothing happens to folks who use them, but sometimes results can be quite alarming.

As for Madeleine L'Engle, God Rest her, the fundies don't like her because her view of God is too liberal for their tastes. I'm not exactly sure what doctrinal gumbus they are all bent out of shape about, but it's something doctrinal. Hey, if they can get upset about Snow White, Madeleine L'Engle isn't too much of a stretch. I'm surprised C.S. Lewis' books aren't on the list. After all, they have witches, and magic and mythical beasts and all. Maybe it's because somebody in high places declared them to be Christian based. They are, but so is A Wrinkle In Time. BTW, Grandma Cindy, I can understand why you wouldn't like Christian apologetics. I don't like them much either. They are dull and dreary and not fun to read. Give me The Voyage Of The Dawn Treader or That Hideous Strength and you can take all your apologetics and put 'em back on the top shelf of the library.

I think it's great that as an atheist you are willing to validate religious books. Who knows, it might rub off on you. Oh, not the doctrinal stuff or the churchy stuff, but the spiritual stuff. That's what really counds.

Ann P.

--
Ann K. Parsons
Portal Tutoring