[bookshare-discuss] Re: Banned Books Week

  • From: Karen Lewellen <klewellen@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: Ann Parsons <akp@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 30 Sep 2007 16:35:04 -0400 (EDT)

Hi,
I actually used to have the entire list, no doubt it is dated. this discussion gives me a great reason to get the book again.
I can speak to why  some thought to include the items I mentioned.
Snow White, women living out of wedlock with 7 men.
I am not kidding.
As for the constitution, many schools and parents for that matter did not want students to know they had rights such as freedom of assembly, or the right to petition the government however defined for the regress of grievances. Let alone free speech. Your prediction in many ways has come true. The polls relating to knowledge of the constitution are well embarrassing is the kindest word that comes to mind. Sadly the worst understanding seems to be the bill of rights. As for the American Heritage dictionary, it is unabridged. That includes definitions of parts of the human body some parents would prefer their children did not know existed. For some reason these folks do not realize that an uninformed individual grows up to be a lost adult in many ways.
Karen

On Sun, 30 Sep 2007, Ann Parsons wrote:

Hi all,