[bookport] Re: new unit proposal

  • From: "David Allen" <wd8ldy@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <bookport@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 18 Sep 2005 14:50:31 +1200

Hi Rose and list:

Sorry if someone has probably already explained this. It is something that I had a hard time understanding in the beginning, but is actually simple.

Turn the bookport 90 degrees to the right. For the purpose of verifying that it is in the proper position, this means that there are three rows of six keys, and the side of the bookport containing the Compact Flash card is facing toward you.

Now to explain the layout. The row of keys furthest from you are the six standard Braille dot keys. They are arranged the same way as on a Brailler. That is, from left to right, they are:
3, 2, 1, 4, 5, 6.

The middle row from left to right are:
escape, left arrow, up arrow, down arrow, right arrow, enter.

The third row from left to right are:
dot 7, backspace, space, space, delete, dot 8.

Hope that helps. Like you, I was quite confused when I read it, though I don't blame the manual for my failure. I just understand better when I read it in Braille. I found it was even clearer when I made a few notes using the bookport. Experience is after all the best teacher.

Cheers,
Dave