[bookport] Re: Upgrades: Hardware and Firmware

  • From: Sandy Licht <slicht@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: bookport@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 15 Apr 2005 11:26:33 -0500

What, exactly, is USB host or "on the go"?

At 11:02 AM 4/15/2005, you wrote:
>Well, it aint broke, but it doesn't do everything we would like.
>
>Here is what I see as must haves:
>
>High speed USB connection
>
>WMA and OGG decoder in hardware with support for digital rights
>management.
>
>USB host or "on the go."
>
>Time Scale Modification (TSM) support on board.  (This means the
>ability to speed up audio files.)
>
>On board speaker that will not increase the size of the unit and that
>will be disabled when headphones are connected.
>
>High quality recording capability in sterio.
>
>Microphone jack.
>
>Stable typing platform.  (The unit should lay flat and stable while
>typing.)
>
>Label on the case.
>
>Here are some additional "nice to haves if it doesn't add too much to
>the cost of the unit".
>
>Bluetooth connectivity
>
>Software synthesizer (possibly optional).

>Larry
>
>If it ain't broken, don't attempt to fix it.  No matter which speech
>synthesizer you choose, you will have less than pleased customers.
>Hence, you can't win by making a change; and, as the Book Courier uses
>
>DoubleTalk, when it comes time for Book Port owners to replace units,
>those who liked the doubleTalk, such as myself, would consider
>purchasing
>a Courier if they continued to use the DoubleTalk chip.

Sandy Licht
Phone: 409-898-8218
Jeremiah 29:11 - 14A
are plans for good and not for disaster, to give you a future and a hope.
12In those days when you pray, I will listen. 13If you look for me in earnest,
you will find me when you seek me. 14I will be found by you," says the
LORD...