[bookport] Re: Upgrades: Hardware and Firmware

  • From: "David Allen" <wd8ldy@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <bookport@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 14 Apr 2005 22:28:12 +1200

Hi Larry and list!

Sarah has given the best description of the Keynote's voice that I ever
heard. A little plastic guy is exactly what it sounds like to me. I am
pleased I managed to get my bookport while you were using a reasonably
understandable synthesiser. That is strictly my opinion. Below is the sum of
my experience with others' use of different synthesisers.

DEC-talk is OK, but I have found a fair number of people who have found it
difficult to understand. These same people also dislike Doubletalk for the
same reason. But all have found Eloquence to be the kind of improvement they
required. This is my experience in a country that used to use a lot of
Keynotes.

I realise it may be early for you to have any definitive figures, but I
would like to ask a couple questions. If you should decide that you want to
offer another synthesiser in Bookport, and I do not believe this is needed
nor waranted, could it be retrofitted into the case of current units? If so,
what would the cost be expected to be? Would it be possible to accommodate
two synthesisers that could be switched in the settings menu or would we
have to forfeit what we have in order to gain the other?

I would be willing to pay a small amount, say $50, if you could add
Eloquence to my unit. But I would hope that it could be added without having
to physically send the Bookport in. There have been a number of problems
here when people have sent equipment overseas for repairs. When the
equipment is returned, Customs have been known to charge duties as if it was
a new product. I would not want to chance experiencing this, nor would I
want to see others unnecessarily charged. For that reason, I think you
should try to make whatever you do decide to use deliverable on line.

Cheers,
Dave