[bksvol-discuss] submitted

  • From: "Amber Wallenstein" <amber.wallens@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <bksvol-discuss@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 16 Jan 2008 10:31:38 -0500

I just submitted Babycatcher: Chronicle of  a modern Midwife by Peggy Vincent.
I edited this book on my braille note but for some reason the file got cut off
in the middle.  I didn't want to reread the book so I did a quick edit in K
1000.  I got the accuracy to 99.07 percent.

She never tired of the miracle. every time she knelt to "catch" another baby,
beloved California midwife paid homage to the moment when pain bows to joy, one
person becomes two, woman turns to goddess, and the world moves aside to make
room for one more soul.

Trained as a nurse at Duke University in the early 1960s, Vincent begins
working in the delivery room of a local hospital in the San Francisco Bay area.
Even after establishing an alternative birth center at the hospital, however,
she is still frustrated with her lack of autonomy. Too often she witnesses
births changing from normal to high risk because of routine obstetrical
interventions.

Vincent then devotes herself to creating unique birth experiences for her
clients and their families. She becomes a licensed midwife, opens her own
practice, and delivers nearly three thousand babies during her remarkable
career.

With every birth comes an unforgettable story. Each time Vincent "catches" a
wet and wriggling baby, she encounters another memorable woman busy negotiating
her unique path through the labyrinth of childbirth.

Meet Catherine as she rides out her labor in a car careening down a mountain
road, her husband clueless at the wheel. Megan delivers on a leaky sailboat
during the storm of the decade. Susannah gives birth so quietly and
effortlessly, neither husband nor midwife notice much of anything until they
see a baby lying on the bed, and Sofia spends her labor trying to keep her
hyper doctor-father from burning down the house.

Book blog:
John Adams
E-Mail: amber.wallens@xxxxxxxxx