[bksvol-discuss] Re: rtf files and MS Word

  • From: Mike <mlsestak@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: bksvol-discuss@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 01 Feb 2010 22:07:11 -0800

If there are graphics in the file, MS Word can make the file bigger every time you edit it. My rtf files, after all graphics have been removed, are rarely over 2 MB. You can find many, but not all graphics by putting ^g in the find box, and remove them by putting nothing in the replace box.

Other than that, I don't know what would make your file grow so much. Wait, I just checked an old email on large word files and it says under the file menu, select versions, in that dialog, make sure "save a version on exit is unchecked."

Misha

Melissa Smith wrote:
I just scanned a book with Kurzwiel 11 and saved it as an rtf file. When I did that, it was approximately 1.5 MB. I opened it in MS Word 2002, standardized font, surrounded page breaks with blank lines, removed extra blank lines, and extra spaces. Now it is over 4 MB. Any ideas what is causing this? I don't have track changes enabled. That was the only thing I could think of that would be adding so much information.
Thanks,

Melissa