[bksvol-discuss] Re: rtf files and MS Word

  • From: "Monica Willyard" <rhyami@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <bksvol-discuss@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 1 Feb 2010 15:18:12 -0500

Hi Melissa. Two things might be causing this. One is caused by having fast
save enabled. It's in the options dialog. With that turned on, Word keeps
appending things to your document instead of just re-saving your file. It
makes files larger than they need to be.

The other thing that might be happening is if you have Word set to embed a
copy of your fonts in your files. This is done if you want to send files to
people, and you don't know if they have a particular font you're using, like
a handwriting font. Since most people have Times New Roman, embedding fonts
isn't needed. Again, this is a checkbox in the options of Word. It should be
unchecked by default unless you frequently send documents to other people
where a special font is needed.

I hope this helps. If both of these options are unchecked, I have no clue. I
do know that when I fix page breaks and fonts in Word, my resulting file is
somewhat larger than when it was in Kurzweil. I don't know why, but suspect
Word adds some extra formatting code to the file.

Monica Willyard
Check out my books and accessible book lists on Goodreads at
http://www.goodreads.com/profile/plumlipstick