[bksvol-discuss] Re: rtf files and MS Word

  • From: Debby Franson <the.bee@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: bksvol-discuss@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sun, 07 Feb 2010 21:10:53 -0600

Hi Cindy!

I could read both of these attached files, (the pdf and the doc files) just fine. The formatting didn't seem messed up at all to me.

Debby

At 02:51 AM 2/3/2010, Cindy wrote
Now I'm having a problem converting word to RTFM and retaining the original formatting. It seems to convert it to txt but call it rtf. I went to the compatibility and tried to change it to Word 2004-2007x but that didn't work The only thing that did work was to add the rtf extension to the label. I'm going to attach the being-scanned list to both the volunteer list and to rick like that. If that doesn't work next time I'll attach them as rtf files. Maybe for you guys it doesn't matter, but I'm pretty sure there will be complaints that things are run together. The books I'm proofing are in the old Word and are saved nicely in rtf so I probably won't having a problem uploading them when I'm ready. Can you read them, and Rick, can you post things ig I send in Word? if I send in Word? I'll send each of the lists in tthe differnt forms Cindy Wish List (i.e., books wanted added to the collection) and books-being-scanned list available at sites below Wish List: https://wiki.benetech.org/display/BSO/Bookshare+Wish+List Books Being Scanned List: https://wiki.benetech.org/display/BSO/Books+Being+Scanned+List --- On Tue, 2/2/10, Melissa Smith <mdsmith25@xxxxxxxx> wrote: > From: Melissa Smith <mdsmith25@xxxxxxxx> > Subject: [bksvol-discuss] Re: rtf files and MS Word > To: bksvol-discuss@xxxxxxxxxxxxx > Date: Tuesday, February 2, 2010, 6:24 PM > I think I'll go with this. Hopefully > my hard drive won't give me so many fits this way. > > Melissa > > > > Judy s. wrote: > > Melissa, that's so weird, but so is Word. I > don't think there is any problem in editing it as a doc and > converting it at the last step to a rtf file. I do > that all that time on my non-bookshare documents, and I've > never had a problem with it retaining everything I'd done > while editing the file as a Word doc file. At least, I've > never had a problem - Word is always more than willing to > create a problem where none existed before, in my > experience! smile. > > > > Judy s. > > > > Melissa Smith wrote: > >> Well, When I pasted it in a new document and saved > it as a .doc file, it was smaller, about 3 mb., but every > time I save it as an rtf, it is over 4 mb. I tried just as > you described, and I also tried copying and pasting, then > saving directly as an rtf, without saving as a .doc first, > both were over 4 MB. Would there be any harm in editing it > as a .doc file, and then just saving it as a .rtf file just > before uploading? > >> Thanks, everyone. > >> > >> Melissa > >> > >> > >> > >> Judy s. wrote: > >>> Melissa, one other thing to try that I can > think of. While inside the file, do a control a to > select the entire contents. Then, do a control c to copy the > entire contents. Then, create a new document with a > control n. Paste the contents of the original into it > with a control v. Save this new file, with a new file > name, but save it as a Word Document, not as a rtf. Then, > save it again, with yet another new file name, this time as > a rtf file. > >>> > >>> Then go look at the size of the new rtf > file and see if the size is much better. If it is, then move > ahead working with the new rtf file. > >>> > >>> I've found that sometimes this will work, when > you've got what you're describing going on. It strips out > spurious codes that can find their way into the document. > >>> > >>> Judy s. > >>> > >>> > >>> > >>> Melissa Smith wrote: > >>>> Well, neither of these was checked. Embed > smart tags was. I unchecked it, though I'm not sure if that > made much of a difference. Any other ideas? > >>>> Thanks, > >>>> > >>>> Melissa > >>>> > >>>> > >>>> Monica Willyard wrote: > >>>>> Hi Melissa. Two things might be > causing this. One is caused by having fast > >>>>> save enabled. It's in the options > dialog. With that turned on, Word keeps > >>>>> appending things to your document > instead of just re-saving your file. It > >>>>> makes files larger than they need to > be. > >>>>> The other thing that might be > happening is if you have Word set to embed a > >>>>> copy of your fonts in your files. This > is done if you want to send files to > >>>>> people, and you don't know if they > have a particular font you're using, like > >>>>> a handwriting font. Since most people > have Times New Roman, embedding fonts > >>>>> isn't needed. Again, this is a > checkbox in the options of Word. It should be > >>>>> unchecked by default unless you > frequently send documents to other people > >>>>> where a special font is needed. > >>>>> > >>>>> I hope this helps. If both of these > options are unchecked, I have no clue. I > >>>>> do know that when I fix page breaks > and fonts in Word, my resulting file is > >>>>> somewhat larger than when it was in > Kurzweil. I don't know why, but suspect > >>>>> Word adds some extra formatting code > to the file. > >>>>> > >>>>> Monica Willyard > >>>>> Check out my books and accessible book > lists on Goodreads at http://www.goodreads.com/profile/plumlipstick > >>>>> > >>>>> To unsubscribe from this list > send a blank Email to > >>>>> bksvol-discuss-request@xxxxxxxxxxxxx > >>>>> put the word 'unsubscribe' by itself > in the subject line. To get a list of available > commands, put the word 'help' by itself in the subject > line. > >>>>> > >>>>> > >>>>> > >>>> To unsubscribe from this list send a blank > Email to > >>>> bksvol-discuss-request@xxxxxxxxxxxxx > >>>> put the word 'unsubscribe' by itself in > the subject line. To get a list of available commands, > put the word 'help' by itself in the subject line. > >>>> > >>>> > >>> To unsubscribe from this list send a blank > Email to > >>> bksvol-discuss-request@xxxxxxxxxxxxx > >>> put the word 'unsubscribe' by itself in the > subject line. To get a list of available commands, put > the word 'help' by itself in the subject line. > >>> > >>> > >> To unsubscribe from this list send a blank Email > to > >> bksvol-discuss-request@xxxxxxxxxxxxx > >> put the word 'unsubscribe' by itself in the > subject line. To get a list of available commands, put > the word 'help' by itself in the subject line. > >> > >> > > To unsubscribe from this list send a blank Email to > > bksvol-discuss-request@xxxxxxxxxxxxx > > put the word 'unsubscribe' by itself in the subject > line. To get a list of available commands, put the > word 'help' by itself in the subject line. > > > > > To unsubscribe from this list send a blank Email to > bksvol-discuss-request@xxxxxxxxxxxxx > put the word 'unsubscribe' by itself in the subject > line. To get a list of available commands, put the > word 'help' by itself in the subject line. > >

mailto:<the.bee@xxxxxxxxxxx>