[bksvol-discuss] Re: rtf files and MS Word

  • From: Melissa Smith <mdsmith25@xxxxxxxx>
  • To: bksvol-discuss@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 01 Feb 2010 20:58:37 -0600

I figured it would get a bit larger, but I was concerned when it was more than double the size. Not to mention the fact that my harddrive, or processor doesn't seem to like it. It seems to think it has to work to hard.

Melissa

Soronel Haetir wrote:
RTF is an extremely unwieldy format and other than the minor
inconvenience of larger files this is nothing to worry about.  The
main reason that files grow like this in Office is that Office places
formatting around every paragraph instead of leaving it be from one
paragraph to the next.  I've also seen Office files where the first
60% is all font identification, with bits about every font on the
system being inserted just in case you want to use it somewhere, even
though you in fact only use a few of them.

The unwieldy nature of RTF is one reason I am somewhat surprised that
bookshare uses it, though it's well supported by editing tools which I
figure is its main benefit.

On 2/1/10, Melissa Smith <mdsmith25@xxxxxxxx> wrote:
I just scanned a book with Kurzwiel 11 and saved it as an rtf file. When
I did that, it was approximately 1.5 MB. I opened it in MS Word 2002,
standardized font, surrounded page breaks with blank lines, removed
extra blank lines, and extra spaces. Now it is over 4 MB. Any ideas what
is causing this? I don't have track changes enabled. That was the only
thing I could think of that would be adding so much information.
Thanks,

Melissa