[bksvol-discuss] Re: rtf files and MS Word

  • From: "Judy s." <cherryjam@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: bksvol-discuss@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 02 Feb 2010 17:31:36 -0600

Melissa, that's so weird, but so is Word. I don't think there is any problem in editing it as a doc and converting it at the last step to a rtf file. I do that all that time on my non-bookshare documents, and I've never had a problem with it retaining everything I'd done while editing the file as a Word doc file. At least, I've never had a problem - Word is always more than willing to create a problem where none existed before, in my experience! smile.

Judy s.

Melissa Smith wrote:
Well, When I pasted it in a new document and saved it as a .doc file, it was smaller, about 3 mb., but every time I save it as an rtf, it is over 4 mb. I tried just as you described, and I also tried copying and pasting, then saving directly as an rtf, without saving as a .doc first, both were over 4 MB. Would there be any harm in editing it as a .doc file, and then just saving it as a .rtf file just before uploading?
Thanks, everyone.

Melissa

Judy s. wrote:
Melissa, one other thing to try that I can think of. While inside the file, do a control a to select the entire contents. Then, do a control c to copy the entire contents. Then, create a new document with a control n. Paste the contents of the original into it with a control v. Save this new file, with a new file name, but save it as a Word Document, not as a rtf. Then, save it again, with yet another new file name, this time as a rtf file.

Then go look at the size of the new rtf file and see if the size is much better. If it is, then move ahead working with the new rtf file.

I've found that sometimes this will work, when you've got what you're describing going on. It strips out spurious codes that can find their way into the document.

Judy s.

Melissa Smith wrote:
Well, neither of these was checked. Embed smart tags was. I unchecked it, though I'm not sure if that made much of a difference. Any other ideas?
Thanks,

Melissa

Monica Willyard wrote:
Hi Melissa. Two things might be causing this. One is caused by having fast save enabled. It's in the options dialog. With that turned on, Word keeps appending things to your document instead of just re-saving your file. It
makes files larger than they need to be.
The other thing that might be happening is if you have Word set to embed a copy of your fonts in your files. This is done if you want to send files to people, and you don't know if they have a particular font you're using, like a handwriting font. Since most people have Times New Roman, embedding fonts isn't needed. Again, this is a checkbox in the options of Word. It should be unchecked by default unless you frequently send documents to other people
where a special font is needed.

I hope this helps. If both of these options are unchecked, I have no clue. I do know that when I fix page breaks and fonts in Word, my resulting file is somewhat larger than when it was in Kurzweil. I don't know why, but suspect
Word adds some extra formatting code to the file.
Monica Willyard
Check out my books and accessible book lists on Goodreads at http://www.goodreads.com/profile/plumlipstick