[bksvol-discuss] Re: adult content

  • From: Cindy <popularplace@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: bksvol-discuss@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 31 Aug 2004 16:45:39 -0700 (PDT)

Realizing that there are adults who prefer not to read
books with explicit sexual descriptions (even when
written in a beautifully literate way), as well as
with profanity and obscenity, I've indicated Adult
rating for quite a few books and explained why in the
long synopsis (after I learned that  notes in Comments
went only to validators). That way, children can't
download books with sexual content or obscenity or
profanity without parental consent, and adults  won't
have a problem. I suppose I could *not* label the
books Adult and just put warnings in the long synopsis
for the adults -- if they didn't read the warnings
before downloading that's their problem -- but that
doesn't prevent children, including teens and
preteens, from downloading such books and reading them
without their parents' knowledge. I figure adults, if
they want to have access to the entire collection, can
*not* indicate that they don't want books with Adult
ratings; then they can see the entire collection, read
the ratings and the warnings, and decide whether they
want to download the book or not.

I'm pretty liberal-minded (as any of you know who have
seen the books I've submitted and/or validated), but
there are some books I would not let my children, when
they were younger, read, e.g. V.C. Andrews' (can't
remember the name but something about the children in
the attic) and A Clockwork Orange.

http://promotions.yahoo.com/new_mail