[bksvol-discuss] Re: a question about tables

  • From: "Jake Brownell" <jabrown@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <bksvol-discuss@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 7 Jul 2008 00:39:31 -0500

Hi Cindy,

Newer OCR programs can recognize simple tables well. It would therefore depend on whether your OCR program is new enough to recognize tables. I suspect many people are used to the days of OCR where it mangled the tables rather than producing them in a nicely generated form.

I had some handouts last semester that had quite a few tables. When I scanned them using FineReader 8.0 (as part of Kurzweil) the tables were recognized as such. I found it very helpfult to be able to use the table reading commands. Those same tables as text would have been much more difficult to use.

Best,
Jake
From: Jake Brownell <jabrown@xxxxxxxxx>
To: bksvol-discuss@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
Date: Sunday, July 6, 2008, 5:30 PM
Hi Devorah,

It looks like lots of people have already given you good
advice. I'll just add that you can use an actual
"table" that a word processor would use. For
example the tables that Microsoft Word will make under the
Table menu are converted into DAISY tables, which may add
extra navigation features.

Sincerely,
Jake

Jake Brownell