[bksvol-discuss] Re: a question about tables

  • From: Grandma Cindy <popularplace@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: bksvol-discuss@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 10 Jul 2008 21:06:15 -0700 (PDT)

Hi, Amy.

The "lots of spaces" won't work any better than the tab, I've since
learned--one space only, or you can use dashes. You can probably do a global
Replace to replace however many spaces you used with either a couple of dashes
or just one space. One space is all I use now when doing Tables of Contents.

For double spacing of lines, we put asterisks in the empty line. Apparently
this tells the blind readers that a space was skipped. For a while I was doing
both, just because I find it difficult not to double or triple space when the
print book does,and I was also putting in an asterisk, but I've bowed to the
convention. In the book I'm validating now I'm putting one asterisk where
there's a space between sections in the text, and two on the line above the
footnote. Lissi just posted that she puts what she does with asterisks for
blank line before the text, and since there is a blank page in my book before
the text, I put such an explanatory note in brackets there.

I'm still changing the footnotes into a smaller font, even though it won't make
a difference to a blind reader.

Cindy