[bksvol-discuss] Re: Validation Question

  • From: "Gerald Hovas" <GeraldHovas@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <bksvol-discuss@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 15 Jun 2007 21:51:54 -0500

Cindy,

Sorry, if I'm understanding you correctly now, it sounds like you got a hold
of a book with section breaks that had been globally replaced with page
breaks.  Not all section breaks signify a new page, and Word's global search
and replace can't distinguish among the different kinds, so changing them to
page breaks (^b for ^m) will sometimes cause page breaks to appear in odd
places.  You'll find section breaks in Carrie's scans, but it's been a while
since she changed her settings to prevent FineReader from adding the kind
which don't specify a page break, so you probably won't run across any of
the other kinds in one of her scans now and may not get to see an example of
them.

Converting ARK to RTF doesn't affect the page breaks, but the page length
can be longer than the scanned page due to OB's putting blank lines between
paragraphs.  This causes some of the pages to spill over to a second page,
increasing the page count.  Changing the paper size from Letter to Legal
should clear this up in Word.  You can find the paper size under the Page
Setup submenu under the File menu.  You'll need to change to the Paper tab
to locate it, though.

HTH

Gerald