[bksvol-discuss] Submitted/nonfiction

  • From: "Deborah Murray" <blinkeeblink@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <bksvol-discuss@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 16 Nov 2011 13:57:27 -0500

Hi all,

I've just submitted for proofing "The New Jim Crow: Mass Incarceration in
the Age of Colorblindness" by Michelle Alexander.

It's been read through w/errors corrected, headers stripped, page
numbers/chapter titles present, text/headings/footnotes formatted. 290
pages.
I suggest removing the "adult" designation.

"We have not ended racial caste in America; we have merely redesigned it,"
declares Alexander (of the Kirwan  Institute for the Study of Race and
Ethnicity and the Moritz College of Law, both at Ohio State U. ) as she sets
forth the case that the old functions of Jim Crow--the legal exclusion of
African Americans from civil rights to  voting, housing, equal employment
opportunities, etc. --are now accomplished through the mass incarceration
and  subsequent stripping of legal rights of black and brown people at rates
that are far disproportionate to their  participation in criminal activity.
Mass incarceration, in its essence, creates and maintains racial hierarchy
much  as earlier systems of social control through "a tightly networked
system of laws, policies, customs, and  institutions that operate
collectively to ensure the subordinate status of a group defined largely by
race. " She  describes how the so-called "War on Drugs" operates to strip
people of rights, shows how racial disparities in  criminal justice outcomes
are not explainable in terms of crime rates, demonstrates the systems of
discrimination  that face those released from prison, examines parallels
between this system and the old Jim Crow system of legal  discrimination,
and challenges those who care about civil rights to come to grips with the
implications of this new  caste system.

Deborah