[bksvol-discuss] Submitted/nonfiction

  • From: "Deborah Murray" <blinkeeblink@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <bksvol-discuss@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 14 Aug 2011 16:03:37 -0400

Hi all,

I've just submitted for proofing "Tomatoland: How Modern Industrial
Agriculture Destroyed Our Most Alluring Fruit" by Barry Estabrook.

It's been read through w/errors corrected, headers stripped, page
numbers/section titles present, body text/section titles formatted. 220
pages.

InTomatoland, based on his James Beard Award-winning article, investigative
food journalist Barry Estabrook reveals the huge human and environmental
cost of the $10 billion fresh tomato industry.  Fields are sprayed with 130
different herbicides and pesticides.  Tomatoes are picked hard and green and
artificially gassed until their skins acquire a marketable hue.  Modern
plant breeding has tripled yields, but produced fruits with a fraction of
the calcium, Vitamin A, and Vitamin C, and three times as much sodium as the
tomatoes our parents enjoyed.  And for what? The relentless drive for low
costs has fostered a thriving modern-day slave trade in the United States.
Estabrook traces the supermarket tomato from its birthplace in the deserts
of Peru to the impoverished town of Immokalee, Florida, a. k. a.  the tomato
capital of the United States.  He visits the laboratories of seedsmen trying
to develop varieties that can withstand the rigors of agribusiness and still
taste like a garden tomato, and then moves on to hydroponic growers, and
eventually to a hillside field in Pennsylvania, where he meets an obsessed
farmer who produces delectable tomatoes for the nation's top restaurants.

Deborah