[bksvol-discuss] Submitted/nonfiction

  • From: "Deborah Murray" <blinkeeblink@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <bksvol-discuss@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 2 Nov 2011 10:52:05 -0400

Hi all,

I've just submitted for proofing "Witches, Midwives and Nurses: A History of
Women Healers" by Barbara Ehrenreich and Deirdre English.

It's been read through w/errors corrected, headers stripped, page
numbers/chapter titles present, text/headings formatted.
Should be an easy proof--only 109 pages.

As we watch another agonizing attempt to shift the future of health care in
the United States, we are reminded of  the longevity of this crisis, and how
firmly entrenched we are in a system that doesn't work.  Witches, Midwives,
and Nurses, first published by The Feminist Press in 1973, is an essential
book about the corruption of the medical  establishment and its historic
roots in witch hunters.  In this new edition, Barbara Ehrenreich and Deirdre
English  have written an entirely new chapter that delves into the current
fascination with and controversies about witches,  exposing our fears and
fantasies.  They build on their classic expos on the demonization of women
healers and the  political and economic monopolization of medicine.  This
quick history brings us up-to-date, exploring today's  changing attitudes
toward childbirth, alternative medicine, and modern-day witches.  Barbara
Ehrenreichis author of  theNew York TimesbestsellersNickel and DimedandBait
and Switch, and, most recently,This Land is Their Land.  Deirdre  English,
the former editor ofMother Jones, is a professor in the Graduate School of
Journalism at the University of  California, Berkeley.

Deborah