[bksvol-discuss] Re: Bookshare's Purpose in Your Eyes

  • From: talmage@xxxxxxxxxx
  • To: bksvol-discuss@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 10 Jun 2004 11:23:23 -0400

No, no, no!
Just because a book is out of print it doesn't mean it is out of copyright.
All it means is that the copyright holder has not chosen to release a new edition, but it doesn't mean they don't anticipate doing so in the future.
Using your husband's argument, if you were to scan an out of print book, you are depriving someone of future earnings. In some cases it may not even be the author you are depriving, but rather their children, grand children, or even just the publisher. Case in point, take a look at any of the recently released books written by Louis L'amour. The copyright info will say something like the estate of Louis L'amour. It would be particularly hard for Louis to collect royalties as he has been dead since the early 70's.

Another question, I guess at the extreme end of the spectrum is, what about used book stores? When you buy a book in a used book store neither the publisher or author are receiving any money for that book. So therefore, I guess we would have to consider people who run used book stores as the leaches of the publishing trade.

If we start to think U.S. publishers are difficult, here's a passage I've always found interesting. In the copyright section of some books is the following.

Except in the United States of America, this book is sold subject
to the condition that it shall not, by way of trade or otherwise, be lent,
re-sold, hired out, or otherwise circulated without the publisher's prior
consent in any form of binding or cover other than that in which it is published
and without a similar condition including this condition being imposed on the
subsequent purchaser.

At 09:56 AM 6/10/2004, you wrote:

No. I don't get your point.  If a book is out of print, you *can't* purchase
it.    I see that as being similar to the Pub domain books.  You're not
depriving anyone of royalties etc. because there aren't any to be had.  In
that case, I think Bookshare or PG are logical alternatives for the blind
user.
Best,
Donna