[bksvol-discuss] Re: Bookshare's Purpose in Your Eyes

  • From: "Donna Goodin" <goodindo@xxxxxxx>
  • To: <bksvol-discuss@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 9 Jun 2004 14:57:08 -0400

Hi Mary,

  Actually, it sounds to me like we're saying the same thing.  As i said in
my first post, if I purchase a book from a publisher, I expect to get
everything, and I mean everything, that a sighted customer gets when they
purchase a book in hardcopy.  That isn't happening right now, and the
publishers are not at all willing to work with us on this issue, or at
least, they are willing to impose compromises that I/we would not be willing
to accept.  I have no sympathy for the publishers, I do have some, though,
for the authors.  I'm pretty sure that some of the mystery writers I read
aren't getting rich, and I'm glad that they do what they do so that I can
have the pleasure of reading their books.  It does seem fair to me that they
should get payed for their work; I wouldn't be too happy if someone said to
me that everyone has a right to an education, so I should teach without pay.

  I guess I just raised the point because I think it's complicated and
presents some interesting ethical issues.  Where do others' rights start,
and ours stop, or vice versa?  For publishers and authors it's about money,
for us, it's about access and not duplicating work.  They clearly don't get
that, but as I said, it kind of seems like the author is the one who really
loses out.  Also, it seemed sort of ironic to me that we were talking about
Bookshare as a "bookstore", when the very word store implies an exchange of
money.
If it were a bookstore we would all be paying for each book that we
download.  That would of course also be problematic, because I would not be
willing to pay for any of the books that I have seen on this site that carry
either a good or fair rating.  Having said that, I also don't tend to
download those, but rather I limit my selection to books with an excellent
rating.  Some of them have things I wouldn't accept if I had to pay either,
but there much closer.

  Hope this clarifys my position, or maybe my questioning, at least a bit.
Cheers,
Donna