[bksvol-discuss] Re: Bookshare's Purpose in Your Eyes

  • From: "Donna Smith" <donnafsmith@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <bksvol-discuss@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 9 Jun 2004 15:28:01 -0400

Donna G makes some good points about the issue of whether we should purchase
books or have them for free from a place like BookShare.  It's not an
argument I can seriously enter into until such time that publishers make
available to me an accessible book for the same price as the print version
within the same time frame.  Having said all that, I don't think they are
losing any more money from us than they do from their average customers.  My
friend who is sighted walks into a book store, purchases a book for $10.50,
takes it home and reads it.  Then she passes it along to a friend, who
passes it along to a friend, and it changes hands any number of times before
it finally ends up in a used book sale, where someone else pays $4 for it,
takes it home and reads it, gives it to a friend, etc.  I buy the same book
for $10.50, bring it home, spend several hours scanning it, someone else
spends more hours validating it, and then it is available for sharing around
via BookShare to those who meet the criteria.  I don't think we're having a
negative impact on the market.  In fact, I have purchased many more books
since becoming a member of BookShare and learning that others share my
interests.

Just my two cents.

Peace and Hope,

Donna