[bksvol-discuss] Re: Bookshare's Purpose in Your Eyes

  • From: talmage@xxxxxxxxxx
  • To: bksvol-discuss@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 09 Jun 2004 11:59:17 -0400

Well, playing the role of one of the hornets, considering the fact that the right to equal access is the law of the land, I would have to ask your husband the following.
Is he supporting, or recommending, that as a nation we take up the challenge of 'Fahrenheit 451?'What I mean by this, is if people should not be provided with free access to books, we have a great many public libraries we need to start shutting down. When my son gets a book from the school library, he is reading a book that he didn't pay for, and more than one other person has already read it, or will read it. So considering your point, that he is getting free access to a book, we certainly need to shut down that school library. Ah you say, but someone has purchased that book, and he is reading the hard copy edition. Well, with the exception of books provided by the publishers, the books on Bookshare were all purchased by someone, and we aren't hacking into the publisher's database and grabbing these files. In recent months, I have probably purchased at least 8 books myself that I probably wouldn't have bought if not for becoming aware of an author or series on Bookshare. But you say, once you download a book you can have it forever. Well, since my recent computer crash of a few months ago, and being particularly remiss in my backup regime, I would have to question the concept of forever. The nice thing however, is that those 8 or so books that I purchased are still on my bookshelf, or maybe in my son's room. Perhaps I should go get them out of there, as he didn't buy them, and I guess therefore he shouldn't be reading them. Regarding those books, 3 or 4 I can go and get from Bookshare so I won't have to scan them again, and the others I have yet to scan.
While I don't want to belabor the point, and yes I realize that my arguments were extreme and silly, I don't feel that they are any more ridiculous than someone asking the question, 'do blind people have the right to free books?'Please also remind your husband, that Bookshare has a $50 a year subscription fee, just as many public libraries do.

Dave

At 10:00 AM 6/9/2004, you wrote:

Hi all,

Well, I maybe stepping in a hornet's nest here, but here goes ...

  On an introductory note, my husband is part of a panel that is presenting
a session at the upcoming AHEAD conference next month dealing with blind
access and copyright law.  As you can imagine, there's been lots of hot
debate around our dinner table on this topic lately.  Though we're still a
ways away from a cease fire, *grin* he does raise one point which I think is
an extremely valid one: are blind people entitled to free books?