[bksvol-discuss] Re: Blank lines and page numbers

  • From: Madeleine Linares <Madeleinel@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "bksvol-discuss@xxxxxxxxxxxxx" <bksvol-discuss@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 20 Mar 2013 16:50:36 +0000

Hi Valerie,

Thank you for this—I think you make an excellent point: It is better to protect
just in case than lose page numbers. I will absolutely return a book if page
numbers are not on their own lines, and putting a blank line before and after
is a great way to ensure this. Given your long history as a proofreader (as
well as Mayrie’s and Judy’s), I have no doubt that you know what you’re talking
about and I very much respect and appreciate your input!

I had not been informed of this blank line before and after the page number
formula, so the first thing I did upon reading all of these questions and
hearing about that rule was to chat with two coworkers in collection
development who have quite some years of experience with the conversion tool
and proofreading. They didn’t know anything about the blank lines before and
after the line with the page numbers either. While they agreed, as do I, that
this is a great way to ensure that the page number doesn’t get lost in the
text, they informed me that they weren’t necessary since the converter will
strip blank lines out anyway.

Since I have been approving books with the blank lines before and after the
page number AND with the page break, the page number on the line below, and the
text starting the line below that with no complaints from members as to the
missing page numbers or book quality, I don’t see the need to require it.

This whole issue puts me in a tricky position and I hope you can understand
where I am coming from. I very much value and respect your opinions (and the
others on this discussion list—as I know I have certainly learned a lot from
all of you over the past year). I also very much respect my coworkers’ thoughts
on the matter. I hesitate to declare a “right” and “wrong” answer for the blank
lines issue, as there does not seem to be a wrong answer! Perhaps I just
haven’t come across an example where the blank lines would help, and this is
entirely possible. If someone can provide concrete examples to prove this
discussion one way or another, I am more than happy to read them and keep
discussing this.

Best,

Madeleine

From: Madeleine Linares