[bksvol-discuss] Re: Adult Content

  • From: Roger Loran Bailey <rogerbailey81@xxxxxxx>
  • To: bksvol-discuss@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sun, 11 Nov 2012 22:40:08 -0500

Frankly, an adolescent can obtain books from a so-called adult bookstore pretty easily too. They just ask someone else to walk in and buy it for them. I used to work in one. I could see the younger guy waiting outside while the older guy came in to make a purchase. Then they pass the stuff around. Of course, while they are busily consuming all of that stuff their parents are busy saying that their precious little darlings have no interest in porn and would never look at it or even get near it. That is why it is so ludicrous to ban it from them. Disabled adolescents have a more difficult problem accessing such material though.

On 11/11/2012 10:18 PM, Kelly Pierce wrote:
I understand the need to restrict adult content. However, much of the
books Bookshare's software labels as adult would not be found in an
adult bookstore in a major American city and could be obtained by an
adolescent at a mainstream bookstore.  the issue is that these
mainstream books available to those under 18 without disabilities are
restricted by bookshare to those with disabilities.  Parents should
absolutely be involved in a child's life.  the issue rather is one of
disability rights. Can children with disabilities have the same access
to books as their non-disabled peers?  We don't know the assumptions
designed into the filtering software used to label content adult. it
appears from an earlier analysis that information about women's health
is considered adult including information about reproductive choices.
similarly, information about puberty is also restricted. I will await
Bookshare's answer regarding access restriction to girls about knowing
about their bodies, part of a larger societal push in the past
election cycle of keeping girls and women uninformed and submissive.
It is unclear what role the United States Department of Education, one
of Bookshare's biggest funders, plays in this restriction and what
content the federal government believes is inappropriate for children
with disabilities.

Kelly

On 11/11/12, Roger Loran Bailey <rogerbailey81@xxxxxxx> wrote:
Actually those under the age of 18 do have the books marked adult
content automatically banned for them. Yes, that can be removed at the
parents request, but that doesn't help people under the age of 18 if
their parents won't ask for the restriction to be removed. It would be a
step forward if the restriction was off by default and the parents had
to request that it be turned on, but that is still facilitating
censorship by parents who are not very progressive. As for sixth
graders, that is about age 11 to 12. You would be surprised at what your
sixth graders are reading, doing, hearing, seeing without your
knowledge. Honestly, those words that get a book marked as having
so-called adult content are words that you can't walk down the street
without hearing. So what's the big deal. There is no way you can prevent
your children from being exposed to such things anyway without utterly
imprisoning them. Think of your own childhood. What were you exposed to
without your parents' knowledge and how did it hurt you? As for who
marks the books adult content, I do not go out of my way to submit books
that would get marked that way and it has been some time since one was
and it has also been some time since I proofed one and when I did I
don't think that I proofed any that had the adult content box checked.
If I did, though, I would remove it. In the past I have submitted some
that the Bookshare tools did mark as adult content. I found that I was
unable to remove the designation myself. I just added to the comments
section that the proofreader remove it. There do seem to be an influx of
publisher submitted books that are getting that designation though. By
the way, I mentioned earlier that I read that book with the title When
Wizards Rule. After writing my review in which I complained that there
was entirely too much sex in the book I did submit a quality report
saying that the adult designation should be removed. I was denied. Oh
well, I tried.
On 11/11/2012 3:44 PM, Cindy Rosenthal wrote:
  I did not want my 6th-grade daughters to readI don't think it's
bookshare  that  labels books A.C.; it's the proofer; the scanner
might do so but the proofer has the option of removing that label
before checking in the book. I have labeled as O.C.books that I
thought might offend some of our sensitive members; that gives them
knowledge about the book that can help them decide whether or not they
want to read the book; as far as children under the age of 18, they
are not automatically prevented from reading such books;  if it's o.k.
with their parents, the restricted access can be removed (and I assume
such a young adult will discuss it with his/her parents; I know one
such young lady  wants to be free to read whatever she  wants, and I
think she has had her parents remove the restriction.
I do think parents should be able to decide what they want their
children to be able to read; they know their children and know what
might give them "wrong" ideas or cause bad dreams I did not want my
6th-grade daughters to read Flowers in the Attic or --what's the book
/movie with orange in the title that's futuristic and has so much
violence?
Cindy

     On 11/11/2012 12:31 AM, Kelly Pierce wrote:

         The library and bookstore test sounds reasonable until it is
         realized
         that communities in different parts of America find certain
         material
         unacceptable where other communities do not.  Someone under 18
can
         read on premises or purchase nearly all of the books the
Bookshare
         unit of Benetech says are only suitable to adults at a library or
         independent or women’s bookstore in San Francisco, new York’s
         Greenwich village or on the north side of Chicago, where I
         live.  This
         is likely not the situation in other places in the country not as
         liberal, permissive, tolerant and accepting.

         In reviewing some of the items Bookshare has slapped with the
         adult
         content label, it seems clear that the organization has
         adopted some
         of the attitudes of Todd Akin of Missouri, Richard Mourdock of
         Indiana, and Paul Ryan of Wisconsin. Their beliefs and views
about
         women were completely repudiated by voters on November 6.
         Bookshare
         has labeled the books “My Body, My Self for Boys” and “My Body,
My
         Self for Girls” as for adults only.  Information about the
         books is
         below.  The publisher, Harper Collins, describes the books are
for
         those age 10 and above.  Harper Collins is a unit of media
         giant News
         Corporation, which owns such properties as the New York Post
         and the
         Fox News Channel.  A company with a conservative pedigree
         creates a
         book about puberty and sexuality for teens that Benetech through
         Bookshare prevents teens from accessing.

         Also stuck with the adult label is the book “Our Bodies,
         Ourselves,”
         an iconic touchstone of the 1970s women’s liberation movement.
          The
         work represents the first major effort of women to share
         information
         about women’s health beyond the range of experts and major social
         institutions.  The book has sold millions of copies and has been
         published in more than 30 languages. I know of a number of places
         where an adolescent girl could buy this book without any hassle
or
         questions. Some believe, like the three losing politicians and
         Bookshare, that women and girls along with young males should
         not have
         this kind of information. An HIV infection or a pregnancy
         through a
         sexual assault, whether or not it meets Paul Ryan’s idea of
         “forcible,” is “god’s will.” This notion is reprehensible and
         Bookshare seems to be joining hands with those who advocate this
         viewpoint.

         Benetech claims it stands for the human rights of people all
         throughout the world. Yet, it seeks to control information to
         girls
         with disabilities about their bodies that is easily available
         to girls
         without  disabilities where I live.  Supporting human rights
         includes
         elevating the status of women and girls so that they have the
         knowledge to make informed decisions about their bodies. In my
         state,
         a teenage girl can become pregnant and have an abortion without
         telling her parents or getting their permission. Yet Benetech,
         through
         Bookshare says information about contraception and abortion
         found in
         these books is “adult” material and off limits to girls. Maybe
         it’s
         time Bookshare staff recognize human rights includes the
         freedom to
         read about topics some would rather not surface.

         If Bookshare’s decision on these and similar books labeled as
         “adult”
         but would never be found in an adult bookstore is an
         imposition that a
         funder stipulated to Benetech to receive funds, that funder
         should be
         identified and what exactly they stipulated.  I want to know
         if this
         unnamed funder states that girls with disabilities should not
know
         about contraception or that teens of both sexes should not
         learn about
         puberty even though the publisher, a major international
         corporation,
         has clearly stated it is age appropriate.

         Kelly

         My Body, My Self for Boys
         Lynda Madaras

         The Madaras growing-up guides are acknowledged by parents,
         educators,
         librarians, and doctors for their unique, nonthreatening style,
         excellent organization, and thorough coverage of both the
         physical and
         emotional issues surrounding puberty and adolescence. And kids
         love
         them too! As one fan wrote, "Dear Lynda, I can't believe that
         you, a
         mom, knew all this stuff!" My Body, My Self for Boys is filled
         with
         activities, checklists, illustrations, and plenty of room for
         journal
         jottings, plus lots of personal stories in which boys share their
         concerns and experiences about growing up. For ages 10 and up.

         My Body, My Self for Girls
         Area Madaras
         and Lynda Madaras

         Our Bodies, Ourselves
         Judy Norsigian
         and Boston Women's Health Book Collective

         Our Bodies, Ourselves is the resource that women of all ages
         turn to
         for information about their bodies, sexuality, and reproductive
         health.

         What's happening to my body? Is this normal? This fact-filled
         journal
         and activity book makes it fun for girls to find answers to
         their many
         questions about the physical and emotional changes that accompany
         puberty.

         On 11/10/12, Lisa Gorden-Cushman <crysania@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
         <mailto:crysania@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>> wrote:

             When I was a kid, I would keep reading a book if there
             were sexual content,
             and laugh a little at the adults who didn't know what I
             was reading.
             Perhaps it would be good to have a little look out for
             parents.

             From: bksvol-discuss-bounce@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
             <mailto:bksvol-discuss-bounce@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
             [mailto:bksvol-discuss-bounce@xxxxxxxxxxxxx