[bksvol-discuss] Re: Adult Content

  • From: Cindy Rosenthal <grandcyn77@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: bksvol-discuss@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sun, 11 Nov 2012 12:44:39 -0800

 I did not want my 6th-grade daughters to readI don't think it's bookshare
that  labels books A.C.; it's the proofer; the scanner might do so but the
proofer has the option of removing that label before checking in the book.
I have labeled as O.C.books that I thought might offend some of our
sensitive members; that gives them  knowledge about the book that can help
them decide whether or not they want to read the book; as far as children
under the age of 18, they are not automatically prevented from reading such
books;  if it's o.k. with their parents, the restricted access  can be
removed (and I assume such a young adult will discuss it with his/her
parents; I know one such young lady  wants to be free to read whatever she
wants, and I think she has had her parents remove the restriction.
I do think parents should be able to decide what they want their children
to be able to read; they know their children and know what might give them
"wrong" ideas or cause bad dreams I did not want my 6th-grade daughters to
read Flowers in the Attic or  --what's the book /movie with orange in the
title that's futuristic and has so much violence?
Cindy

On 11/11/2012 12:31 AM, Kelly Pierce wrote:

> [...]
>> throughout the world. Yet, it seeks to control information to girls
>> with disabilities about their bodies that is easily available to girls
>> without  disabilities where I live.  Supporting human rights includes
>> elevating the status of women and girls so that they have the
>> knowledge to make informed decisions about their bodies. In my state,
>> a teenage girl can become pregnant and have an abortion without
>> telling her parents or getting their permission. Yet Benetech, through
>> Bookshare says information about contraception and abortion found in
>> these books is “adult” material and off limits to girls. Maybe it’s
>> time Bookshare staff recognize human rights includes the freedom to
>> read about topics some would rather not surface.
>>
>> If Bookshare’s decision on these and similar books labeled as “adult”
>> but would never be found in an adult bookstore is an imposition that a
>> funder stipulated to Benetech to receive funds, that funder should be
>> identified and what exactly they stipulated.  I want to know if this
>> unnamed funder states that girls with disabilities should not know
>> about contraception or that teens of both sexes should not learn about
>> puberty even though the publisher, a major international corporation,
>> has clearly stated it is age appropriate.
>>

>> Kelly
>>

>> My Body, My Self for Boys
>> Lynda Madaras
>>

>> The Madaras growing-up guides are acknowledged by parents, educators,
>> librarians, and doctors for their unique, nonthreatening style,
>> excellent organization, and thorough coverage of both the physical and
>> emotional issues surrounding puberty and adolescence. And kids love
>> them too! As one fan wrote, "Dear Lynda, I can't believe that you, a
>> mom, knew all this stuff!" My Body, My Self for Boys is filled with
>> activities, checklists, illustrations, and plenty of room for journal
>> jottings, plus lots of personal stories in which boys share their
>> concerns and experiences about growing up. For ages 10 and up.
>>
>> My Body, My Self for Girls
>> Area Madaras
>> and Lynda Madaras
>>
>> Our Bodies, Ourselves
>> Judy Norsigian
>> and Boston Women's Health Book Collective
>>
>> Our Bodies, Ourselves is the resource that women of all ages turn to
>> for information about their bodies, sexuality, and reproductive
>> health.
>>

>> What's happening to my body? Is this normal? This fact-filled journal
>> and activity book makes it fun for girls to find answers to their many
>> questions about the physical and emotional changes that accompany
>> puberty.
>>

>> On 11/10/12, Lisa Gorden-Cushman <crysania@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>>
>>> When I was a kid, I would keep reading a book if there were sexual
>>> content,
>>> and laugh a little at the adults who didn't know what I was reading.
>>> Perhaps it would be good to have a little look out for parents.

>>> Content (also known as "AC"). There has been some confusion (off-list)
> [...]
>>> library
>>> and get a copy of this book without an adult being involved?  If the
>>> answer
>>> is yes, a print-disabled kid should be able to do the same on Bookshare.
>>> We
>>> are not interested in placing additional barriers to access for our
>>> members
>>> that their peers do not experience.  This means we do have stuff
>>> available
>>> to members under 18 that has sex, and swearing, and violence, and
>>> substance
>>> abuse in it, and that is okay and in keeping with the generally
>>> recognized
>>> standards of "freedom to read" policy in this country.
>>>
>>> We don't have a perfect implementation of this policy yet -- I see
>>> evidence
>>> that we were a little more strait-laced in the early days (and fix it
>>> when
>>> come across it), and our automated filtering from publisher feeds still
>>> needs some fine-tuning.  When I'm trying to navigate something particular
>>> "gray area-y" like the steamier of the romances coming in, I ask myself
>>> about the intent -- is the action (even if hot and heavy) designed to
>>> move
>>> the characters towards relationship, or is the plot driven only by the
>>> need
>>> to get body parts intermingling again?  It's the latter that's clearly
>>> AC,
>>> while the former continues to be ambiguous.  Author intent is, alas,
>>> pretty
>>> gray-area-y and subjective itself, but I think it can help separate the
>>> sheep from the goats."
>>>
>>> Adult content is confusing and clearly not black and white. Many romances
>>> (such as a lot of the Harlequin ones), though certainly racy, should not
>>> be
>>> labeled as AC. A 16-year-old could walk into a book store and buy ones of
>>> those books just as easily as a 38-year old, although his or her parents
>>> might not approve and might consider the content inappropriate. Anyway,
>>> just
>>> thought it couldn't hurt to remind everyone!
>>>
>>> Feel free to contact me with questions, as always.
>>>
>>> Best,
>>>
>>> Madeleine Linares
>>> Volunteer Coordinator
>>> Bookshare, a Benetech Initiative
>>> 650-644-3459
>>> madeleinel@xxxxxxxxxxxx
>>>
>>> Join us in celebrating our 10
>>> <
>>> http://blog.bookshare.org/2012/03/11/join-bookshares-worldwide-10th-anniver
>>> sary-celebration/> th Anniversary!
>>>
>>> Title:
>>> Bookshare logo: Bringing Reading to Life for
>>> 10 Years
>>>

>>>    To unsubscribe from this list send a blank Email to
>> bksvol-discuss-request@xxxxxxxxxxxxx

> answer was that AIDS is, indeed, one of those real dangers and it is a
very good example. It is a very good example because not only is it a real
danger that is being ignored by those who want to "protect" children by
censorship, but it is also a danger that the anti-sex censors want to
deprive children of the knowledge that they need to actually protect them
from it. The more they try to justify themselves the more ridiculous they
get.