[baisl] Re: Printer Paper Waste

  • From: Lorrie Culver <lculver@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "baisl@xxxxxxxxxxxxx" <baisl@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 7 Jan 2015 17:57:43 +0000

Hi Mei Yang,
This is my first time posting to BAISL since I signed up for the listserv... I
thought it would be informative even though I work at an independent school
library in the San Diego area ... and it has been great!

Your post is timely as we just had drama students printing all the pages (198)
of a play ... and it has not only been using up our ink and paper but also
keeping other students from being able to print ... we do have 2 printers in
the library ... one black and white and one color but still! And, yes, there is
also a lot of waste as students print and then forget and leave the library or
maybe they printed two copies by mistake.

We do not charge for printing and our admin does not believe that we should ...
we have had signs up in the past asking for students to "think green." Not sure
what the solution is as some educators think that students will just read on
their devices ... but many students still like to have paper copies.

Thanks,

Lorrie Culver
Technical Services Librarian
La Jolla Country Day School
9490 Genesee Ave.
La Jolla, CA  92037
lculver@xxxxxxxxx
(858)453-3440 x 163

From: Mei Yang <meiyang@xxxxxxxx<mailto:meiyang@xxxxxxxx>>
Date: Wednesday, January 7, 2015 9:50 AM
To: "baisl@xxxxxxxxxxxxx<mailto:baisl@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>"
<baisl@xxxxxxxxxxxxx<mailto:baisl@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>>
Subject: [baisl] Printer Paper Waste

Hello All,
We currently have unlimited free printing in the library for all students. In
the last couple months the amount of paper being used and wasted has been
incredible!. We're debating whether to implement some kind of copy management
software and are wondering what others are experiencing.

   - Do you offer free unlimited printing in the library?
   - If no, how do you manage student printing?
   - If you use a print copy management system, what is it and what have
   been the pro/cons?

Thanks for your feedback.

Mei

--