[baisl] Re: Printer Paper Waste

  • From: Linda Brogden <lbrogden@xxxxxxx>
  • To: "baisl@xxxxxxxxxxxxx" <baisl@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 7 Jan 2015 20:46:59 +0000

Hi everyone,

I’ve read with great interest the comments from all as, despite being 1:1 (BYO
iPad), we still have a lot of printing, about 500 pgs every 2-3 days (2100
students, JH and HS), with more at semester end.

Our library offers only b/w printing to students from one printer; we also have
one copier.  Students print or copy for 10 cents/page (sign above printer) but
we started a low-tech prepaid punch card system which solved the problem of
making change all day long.  Through that we deal only in paper currency most
of the time – it’s wonderful!

We print business size VCS Print/Copy cards ($1, $2, $4 denominations) with
punch-out spots.  Students buy the cards and when they pick up their print jobs
we hole-punch the number of spaces.  It’s worked well for 3 years – we easily
collect the funds and it’s faster for students, especially at busy times.  An
automated system would be nice, but short of investigating, purchasing and
implementing that, this works great.  Because we serve JH and HS, we even
provide a free $1 print card to each 6th and 9th grader in the Fall via their
English classes when we do a brief classroom talk.

Like many of you, we still have wasted printing that we usually don’t have
students pay for.  Rather, we try to educate and tell them why and how to avoid
it next time:  print only pages needed via the browser, copy/paste the content
into MSWord, or highlight and print the selection.  For a couple of years I
stacked the wasted paper next to the printer, accumulating an 18” visual for
students to ask “what’s that” and I’d tell them.  They got it.  I have to think
it helped educate in some way.  I love the paper crane idea – we may try that
too!

We ask the students to tell us before they print a large job or when students
need to print a class set.  For large jobs assigned by teachers, we’ll keep a
master and photocopy sets to free up the printer – we still charge the 10
cents/pg.  For student-produced class sets we have them print one and photocopy
the rest of their quantity, again still charging 10 cents/pg.  These efforts at
least raise their awareness that we have a single resource that can get bogged
down for everyone if we’re all not careful.

By the way, our students cannot print directly from their iPads; they must send
a .pdf to their email, call it up on a lab computer, and then print to our
printer.

Linda Brogden
Skyway Librarian
Valley Christian Schools – San Jose