[baisl] Re: Printer Paper Waste

  • From: "Thomas, Brian" <bthomas@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "baisl@xxxxxxxxxxxxx" <baisl@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 7 Jan 2015 19:14:52 +0000

Hi Mei

At Saint Mary’s we offer free unlimited printing/copying — more by accident
than on purpose.  We used to charge .10 per copy with an attachment on the
copier/printer, but after that copier ceased to function our business office
made a contract with a copier company that didn’t offer the same control
features.

When I introduced the change to students several years ago, I sold it as a
benefit to students that they could now copy without having to pay; but as you
experienced, we started to see a lot of waste.

A major part of the problem for us was that if a print request was somehow
hung, it stopped all of the other print jobs in the que.  By the time the
original print request was fixed, many students had tried to print again or had
even left.  The result was that we would suddenly get an outpouring of all of
the stuck print jobs with half of the stack simply being wasted.  Our tech
department tried to work on the printing side of things.

I worked on educating students. I put up signs, talked with every student who
was having printing/copying difficulties and finally to give students a reality
check of how much paper was being wasted hung many, many paper cranes from the
library ceiling made from the wasted paper.  I enlisted the help of students to
fold the cranes.  They loved it and it also helped to spread the word.  I think
giving students a visual representation of all of the paper wasted makes it
much more real for them.

Long story short, there was some help on the tech side and the awareness
campaign did help.  The problem hasn’t been completely solved, but it is much
better than it was before.

Brian Thomas
Director of Library Media Services
Saint Mary’s College High School

From: Mei Yang <meiyang@xxxxxxxx<mailto:meiyang@xxxxxxxx>>
Date: Wednesday, January 7, 2015 at 9:50 AM
To: "baisl@xxxxxxxxxxxxx<mailto:baisl@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>"
<baisl@xxxxxxxxxxxxx<mailto:baisl@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>>
Subject: [baisl] Printer Paper Waste

Hello All,
We currently have unlimited free printing in the library for all students. In
the last couple months the amount of paper being used and wasted has been
incredible!. We're debating whether to implement some kind of copy management
software and are wondering what others are experiencing.

   - Do you offer free unlimited printing in the library?
   - If no, how do you manage student printing?
   - If you use a print copy management system, what is it and what have
   been the pro/cons?

Thanks for your feedback.

Mei

--