[AZ-Observing] Re: Thunderbird Park Star Party

  • From: "Jack Jones" <spicastar@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <az-observing@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 5 Oct 2003 13:33:18 -0600

Thanks everyone who came out to help at TBird Park last night. Lotsa people
but the lines were never too long, with a complete line of telescopes
available for viewing. Mostly families and many many kids, with many
students from Dave Fredericksen's Astronomy classes. Don't know how many but
I handed out 60 info sheets.

They got good looks at Mars, Moon (Rupes Recta and Copernicus were great),
M22, M31&32, M15, N7331, double cluster etc. The terraced walls of
Copernicus were in stark relief in the 6" Club scope, and as the evening
progressed the floor and central peaks were slowly lit up. I was set up next
to a 6" Starfire so I had to keep going over and sneaking peeks at Mars,
etc. for comparison when I could.

Jack Jones
Saguaro Astronomy Club
Public Events
Phoenix AZ
spicastar@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

> I got there a bit late and set up on the far end of the field. Still I had
> lots of traffic and each time I changed objects, I ended up with a line of
> eager viewers. I showed folks Mars at 240x, most everyone was pretty
> impressed with being able to see the SPC. Told 'em they should've seen it
> few months ago :). I also showed M31 (M110 was also visible in the field),
> M13, M57, NGC 457 and even got M8, although all you could see was the
> cluster.
> Quite a few people commented on my EQ platform. Seems folks are more
> observant than we give 'em credit for. They all seemed to notice that
there
> was something different about Gert from the other Dobs out there. I'll say
> this, It was nice to be able to set the scope on an object and not have to
> re-center it for each guest! Once you track you don't go back.
>
> My daughter Lindsay, help out by giving away the Sky & Tel getting started
> in astronomy brochures and some stickers and coloring pages I got from
NASA.