[AZ-Observing] Re: Thunderbird Park Star Party

  • From: "Tejera, Rick" <rtejera@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "'az-observing@xxxxxxxxxxxxx'" <az-observing@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 5 Oct 2003 12:43:16 -0400

I got there a bit late and set up on the far end of the field. Still I had
lots of traffic and each time I changed objects, I ended up with a line of
eager viewers. I showed folks Mars at 240x, most everyone was pretty
impressed with being able to see the SPC. Told 'em they should've seen it a
few months ago :). I also showed M31 (M110 was also visible in the field),
M13, M57, NGC 457 and even got M8, although all you could see was the
cluster.
Quite a few people commented on my EQ platform. Seems folks are more
observant than we give 'em credit for. They all seemed to notice that there
was something different about Gert from the other Dobs out there. I'll say
this, It was nice to be able to set the scope on an object and not have to
re-center it for each guest! Once you track you don't go back.

My daughter Lindsay, help out by giving away the Sky & Tel getting started
in astronomy brochures and some stickers and coloring pages I got from NASA.
She loves to help with this stuff.

I also got a few leads on folks interested in learning more about the hobby.
a few folks had just bought telescope or were thinking about it. Naturally I
invited them to Friday's meeting. Let's see if the come.

Clear Skies
Rick Tejera
Editor SACnews
Saguaro Astronomy Club