[AZ-Observing] Re: Thunderbird Park Star Party

  • From: "Jack Jones" <Telescoper@xxxxxxx>
  • To: <az-observing@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 18 Apr 2005 18:13:34 -0700

I guess it was so large a group we didn't even meet up with each other at all!
We were also witness to a nice Iridium flare in the darkening twilight sky at
7:22:45 that was about mag -5 or -6 at 68 degrees high in the SE. We got about
200 people to all look in one direction in the sky for a couple minutes prior.
Once we got some people looking then all the rest started looking too and
wondering why they were looking. Then when they all saw it flare up they were
astonished and all saying what was that?! How did you know that???  It was the
largest group I've ever been in to see a flare.

Jack Jones
Public Events Coordinator
Saguaro Astronomy Club
Phoenix AZ
Telescoper@xxxxxxx
www.saguaroastro.org

Great star party!

The best I have been to.

It was actually crowded (over 20 telescopes and close to 1,000
people) and there is lots of area there. The night was perfect and
everyone seemed to have a great time. Next time I will make a sign
for my 8" Meade and spell out Schmidt-Cassegrain for all those poor
folks taking notes in the dark.

Jeff
--
Jeff Hopkins
HPO SOFT

  Small minds speak about people * Average minds speak of events
************   Great minds speak of ideas!    ****************